Through studying music at Walton Oak, pupils will gain exposure to a variety of musical genres. They will develop an understanding of the history of music by being introduced to key composers and their works, with an aim to inspire pupils to develop an appreciation and enjoyment of music whilst making it accessible to all. Through singing and the use of tuned and untuned percussion, they will explore pitch and rhythm, have opportunities to express themselves through improvisation and composition and develop music notation skills. Pupils will be encouraged to perform regularly to peers and to larger audiences developing solo and ensemble performance skills, building self-confidence and improving self-esteem.
- Rhythm and pace: Keeping a steady beat, note values/notation, rhythmic patterns, speed.
- Pitch: Pitch matching, call and response, melody and harmony.
- Timbre: The character of a sound, environmental sounds, instrument families
- Improvisation and Composition: Creating music, looking at structure and form.
- Appreciation: Listening to varying musical genres, exploring the history of music.